Master of Negotiations Certificate Course
Member Price: Sale Price w/discount code: $98 | Regular Price: $196 | Non-Member Price: Sale Price w/discount code: $198 | Regular Price: $396
CPE Credit: 4
Save 50% off the price of this e-Learning course when you purchase by Monday, October 21.
Member Cost: $98 | Non-Member Cost: $198 Use discount code HCSUPPLYCHAIN2019 to save!
This self-paced, hands-on eLearning course will guide you through each step of the negotiations process, while focusing on proven best practices for negotiations along with personal advice and negotiating tips from seasoned negotiator, John Strong.
While being a “tough negotiator” is a major key to success in negotiations, maintaining a reputation for fairness remains important to create a win for both sides during the negotiations process, and helps to set a strong foundation for future negotiation encounters. These skills are developed through advanced preparation and planning for major purchases, while also having a strong team in place who complement one another. Students will leave this course more confident in their abilities as a well-prepared negotiator, who has both a reputation for winning, and fairness while incorporating the latest and best practice techniques.
How this session relates to the Cost, Quality, and Outcomes (CQO) Movement:
Reduction of cost is typically the first function that comes to mind when considering negotiations. However, expert negotiating skills are used to address much more, including the negotiation of strategic contract elements that address the continuum of care, including population health, bundled payments care improvement (BPCI) initiatives, etc.
Recommended Prerequisite: Essentials of Negotiations Certificate
Modules For The Course:
Introduction to Negotiations – Level Setting
- Distinguish the key characteristics of a good negotiator
- Illustrate methods for defining negotiation objectives
- Translate the ethics of negotiation and their effect on outcomes
- Pinpoint negotiations team members and each of their roles
- Form the basis of specific bargaining strengths
Uncovering Total Purchase Value
- Explain the importance of preparation
- Negotiate specific terms and conditions using outlined methods
- Compare and contrast the outcomes of discussing pricing verses terms and options at the beginning of a negotiation
- Identify the total cost of ownership of a product
Constructing your Position/Knowing your Seller
- Deconstruct a seller’s RFP response or quote
- Identify areas in a quote that can be negotiated
- Question the seller to determine the seller’s position and flexibility
- Role-play negotiation “arguments” using appropriate statements
- Practice several methods to gain bargaining power
Logistics of the Negotiation Act
- Create a negotiations meeting agenda
- Discuss the reasons to nail down each meeting logistic
- Prepare your arguments or talking points for the negotiation
- Identify potential issues during the meeting and how to address them
The Act of Negotiating
- Ask fitting questions to uncover the seller’s bargaining position
- Outline the pros and cons of being the first to make an offer in the negotiation
- Discuss appropriate responses to a low ball offer
- Use various bargaining tools to reach an agreement with the seller
Completing the Negotiation
- Explain the difference between a contract and a memo of understanding
- Conduct a debriefing meeting with your team
- Outline the guiding principles of successful email and phone negotiations
- Outline plan and purpose for a negotiation.
- Consider all factors when negotiating to include price and terms and conditions.
- Deconstruct a proposal to develop your platform and position for a negotiation.
- Plan the agenda and logistics for a negotiation meeting.
- Use a variety of bargaining tools to make an offer and reach an agreement with the seller.
- Explain how to ready a negotiation for contract
Upon successful completion of the six course modules and the exam, students will receive the Master of Negotiations Certificate.
Presenter: John Strong , MBA, Co-Founder and Chief Consulting Officer, Access Strategy Partners Inc.