AHRMM encourages the formation of and supports its affiliated chapters. The goal of affiliated AHRMM chapters is to enable health care supply chain professionals to learn and network with each other on a more local and regular basis.
AHRMM affiliated chapters are composed of AHRMM members and others in the profession that live in a particular geographic location who organize themselves to promote the goals of the American Hospital Association and AHRMM cooperatively.
Benefits of being a local chapter member
Chapters serve as a medium for its members to meet and share their professional experiences. The most valuable benefit of being a local member is the opportunity to network with others in the same profession closer to home. Chapter meetings and activities allow members to expand their knowledge and gain new insights. Chapters provide the opportunity for members to gain continuous education between annual conferences and hold programs locally.
How to Start a Chapter Frequently Asked Questions
What is the first step I must take to start a chapter?
Contact AHRMM staff at email@example.com or (312) 422-3840 to discuss best practices on starting a chapter and any expectations for affiliation. AHRMM’s staff liaison will also aid you in creating your chapter and guide you through the process of getting approval from AHRMM for chapter status.
Will the group have to sign an affiliation agreement?
Any group wanting to become an affiliated chapter must sign an affiliation agreement.
Are there specific criteria that each chapter must meet to become an affiliated chapter?
The group must meet 13 specific criteria to become affiliated with AHRMM. After becoming affiliated, the Chapter must continue to meet the criteria status from the date of signing the affiliation agreement forward. The Chapter must immediately inform AHRMM of any change in the chapter’s compliance with any of these requirements. If the Chapter does not meet the criteria at any time one year or more after the date of signing the agreement, AHRMM will terminate chapter status as permitted by Section 8 of the Affiliation Agreement.
Criteria for Affiliation Status
- The chapter must have at least 20 members (must be non-student).
- Chapters with less than 100 members must have at least 15 members who are also AHRMM members. Chapters with 100 or more members must have a minimum of 15% of its members who also are AHRMM members.
- The President and President-Elect of the chapter must be AHRMM members.
- The chapter must fully execute a chapter agreement with AHRMM.
- The chapter must have obtained its own Employer Identification Number.*
- The chapter must maintain a bank account in the chapter’s name*.
- The chapter must be incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation and be in good standing in its state of incorporation.*
- The chapter must have a mission statement that helps advance AHRMM’s mission.*
- The chapter must be governed by bylaws that are compliant with relevant laws.
- The chapter must obtain an exemption from federal income taxes under section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Service code.
- The chapter must maintain aggregate general or umbrella liability insurance having a minimum coverage of $1,000,000 per occurrence and include proof of such insurance with its annual report.
- The chapter must maintain directors and officers liability insurance and include proof of such insurance with its annual report. To understand why your chapter needs this insurance. Contact a provider of D & O Insurance.
- The chapter must submit an annual report each year by January 31.
*Groups wanting to form a chapter and who are affiliated with their state hospital association are exempt from providing proof of these items.
If you have questions about starting a chapter, contact AHRMM staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 422-3480.
Levels of Chapter Affiliation
Based on the level of activities, affiliated chapters are recognized in one of four levels:
Note: All foreign countries are in Region 1. There are no chapters for foreign countries at this time.