Going Global – How Direct Sourcing Saved the Day Amid COVID-19
Learn how Banner Health, one of the nation’s leading health systems, leveraged an innovative, factory-direct approach to access high-quality PPE in short supply amid a pandemic to protect their more than 50,000 employees and care for patients – all while decreasing product lead time, maximizing efficiencies and driving cost savings. This white paper discusses how providers can match care delivery requirements and PPE conservation measures with direct-to-manufacturer partnerships; tips to diversify production; how to harness the power of data for supply chain preparedness; and how to thoughtfully incorporate direct sourcing into a supply chain strategy.
This white paper highlights best practices, tools and processes that have allowed Banner Health to build a strong direct sourcing capability and how that enabled its leaders to align with cost, quality and outcome improvements and save lives by keeping its health care workers safe.
- The learner will report how innovative and diverse sourcing strategies have enabled access to vital PPE and supplies during COVID-19.
- The learner will be able to recognize potential risks within their supply chain as well as best practices and benefits related to direct sourcing.
- The learner will be able to assess how direct sourcing can be a key component to building supply chain diversity and resiliency for the future.
- Doug Bowen, Vice President, Supply Chain Services, Banner Health
- Jeb Hopper, Senior Director, S2S Global
About the Authors:
- Doug Bowen joined Banner Health in 2002 as Vice President of Supply Chain. Banner Health’s Supply Chain has been ranked in the Gartner Healthcare Supply Chain Top 25 for 7 consecutive years and is currently ranked #5. Doug’s goal is to optimize network value for patients, payers, providers, and suppliers using a fully integrated supply chain model. He has successfully transitioned the delivery and management of the supply chain from a multi-individual hospital perspective to a centralized, high-performance corporate supply chain service center for 30 hospitals. Prior to joining Banner, he served 17 years in Healthcare Supply Chain Leadership positions with HCA in Utah, Oregon, Tennessee, and Texas. In 2020, Doug was inducted into the Bellwether League – the Healthcare Supply Chain Leadership Hall of Fame.
- Jeb Hopper has over 18 years of experience in executive leadership and medical device sales with leading global manufacturers serving hospitals, surgery centers and Integrated Health Networks throughout the United States. As part of the S2S Global leadership team, Jeb leads member sales activity.